[ Content | Sidebar ]

Behind the Scenes at the Portland Japanese Garden

Written on November 2, 2011

In my previous post, below this one, I wrote that I’m having a show at the Portland Japanese Garden on the subject of Mottainai, a Japanese philosophical concept that assigns value to all resources and cautions not to waste even the smallest remnant or leftover.On this misty morning, yesterday, I snapped the two photos, above, while in the garden, where the maples are at peak color–and where you think you have been teleported to Japan.…and here’s a sneak peak behind the scenes during the installation of the show at the Garden’s pavilion. I’ll show installation shots of the finished show in a few days.

6 Comments

Comments closed

1. Comment by Adina:

Hope that you have a fabulous time in Portland and that the exhibition gets lots of interested visitors. Please consider posting some time about the how-tos of displaying and curating an exhibit.

November 2, 2011 @ 11:55 am

2. Comment by Nicole:

I live just down the street from the garden, do you know the time of the opening reception? I’d love to stop by.

November 2, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

3. Comment by Elaine:

Stephen – Our Japanese garden is one of the loveliest outside of Japan, no matter what the weather. I hope you enjoy your visit. I hope to see the exhibit and next time I’m in Brooklyn to visit Sri, which looks amazing!

Nicole, check out the website japanesegarden.com for details.

November 3, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

4. Comment by magdalena:

…I hope i maybe someday be able to visit the garden…everything looks fantastic!
    Thank you for so much inspiration!
    My best regards
    magdalena

November 7, 2011 @ 1:00 am

5. Comment by Kathryn:

Beautiful items and exhibit Stephen. Best of luck to you and Kei for this exciting opportunity. Wish I could be there to see it in person.

Best wishes
    Kathryn

November 7, 2011 @ 9:33 am

6. Comment by Rae:

Stephen,

The show is absolutely stunning…..I love it…you must be so happy…it really looks fantastic…I’m showing all the people at work you site.

Very nice….

Congratulations.

xxoo
    rae and nicky…he likes it too!

November 7, 2011 @ 3:48 pm